www.videopac.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog inSHOP
building the database
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    www.videopac.org Forum Index » Videopac.org & Odyssey2.org View previous topic
View next topic
building the database
VPR
Site Admin

Post building the database Reply with quote
is a long boring job.

Mr. Green

basically eveything in the games page is static, every game has its own html page none of it is brought from a db, which while easier to layout, is not at all interactive and so if the sites going to evolve I have to move towards dynamic content.

the forums already is, now I have created a new database which is "games"
this will be linked to the users eventualy, so they can keep accurate records of what they have, all the variants, and if they choose to make their collection public, others can see what they have.

of course it makes sense to port the data from the games pages to the database and eventualy have the games pages call this data and display it in the format ithey are in today.

this means, cutting and pasting, all the text, all the paths to the images, instructions, bin files, names, yada yada.

I'm hoping by the end of next week to have a page set up that types this infordirect into the database, maybe then some of you could put your own descriptions, opinions, cheats, whatever into the database

you can watch the database grow as I do it, not interactively yet, just a display laid out on a very amature looking table.

http://videopac.org/Test/dispaydb.php

any suggestions....there are more feilds that you cant see yet, but you get the idea

Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:08 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
Looks good, but as the value of a game will vary over time, I don't think it's useful to mention it. Maybe you could replace it with a rarity number.

I noticed that you wrote that Powerlords is Voice enhanced, but that's not true.
Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
seob
Pac Priest
Pac Priest

Post Reply with quote
Will the different label styles also be available? I like to have these variations of 1 game all on 1 page.
Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:29 am View user's profile Send private message
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I hope to include all the details/pics currently in the games section, and because this will be editible (obviously by trusted users) it should reflect everything we know about the games, variations etc.

it is ambitious, so I cant see it being fruitious for about a year, but the more ideas you guys have the more comprehensive it can be.

yes I have already allowed for image variations on carts, front covers, back covers.
as I said there are a few columns that you cant yet see, but I can add as many as nescisary to encopass all

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:12 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have now set up the editor script but still it hasnt got all the nescessary feilds to be comprehensive enough to go live yet...its coming along a LOT quicker than I thought

the database is set up on a seed game, being the standard original release every cart is given a unique identifier specific to the database if the game you wish to add is a variant then you enter the originals seed number, if its not a variant its left blank.
this should allow for even label variations, matt glossy.

you can write about gameplay, collecting, cheats hints, high scores anything you like.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:08 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ANDYRYALS
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
You have my permission to use my Rarity lists for Siera and Radiola games if you wish
Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:44 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
oohhh I want more than that see PM !

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:20 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ANDYRYALS
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
Bugger!
Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:59 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
ANDYRYALS wrote:
Bugger!

Well not quite that though !!! Laughing

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:26 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Hi chaps,

the user editable database is running in a very crude way.

if you visit the games section, click on videopac 1 race

you will see it in action.

I havent got all the titles, variants and details in there yet...thats where you lot come in if you get chance.

it presents the info about cart1 the philips plastic cased variant

this is record number 2

all variants of race have this seed number so if you want to add a version of race that isnt in there its seed ID would be 2

(all seed IDs should be the first instance of the game in the database) if you were to scroll through it).

at the botom the database shows all the other variants with the same seed ID.

if you click on the picture it will take you to that variant, giving details specific to that variant and again listing all the games with the same seed id below.

right at the botom you can scroll up and down the carts in the order they are in the database.

but also there is a EDIT RECORD link.

if you click on this you can edit the details of the SPECIFIC cart you are viewing and add your own
comment on gameplay,, cheats, collecting info, Original Seed Unique ID: Cart Name: Videopac Number or Product Code: Game Author: Value UKú: Manufacturer: Box Type: Rom size: 2k 4k 8k OtherRegion: Cart Type: Black Mat Label Frequecy: Release Date:

if you put any details about collecting, cheats or gameplay please type <br> after any sentances so it parses it correctly on display.

one more feild

Modify ID : (DO NOT CHANGE THIS) please don't otherwise you will overright another record possible cocking up somone elses work, this is handy once you are familiar with using it
to copy the same details to another record which is similar. but for now please dont use it.

most of which at the moment is generic.

feel free to add any accurate information as this is for the use of all of us and should be as accurate as possible. change anything you know is in-accurate.

at the botom of the edit screen you see another tab called display database
please click on this to see the id numbers of all the files currently held, if you see an emptyspace feel free to add a new variant or cart to this space by scrolling to that record.

any questions please post here.

editing will get better as we go along.

any suggestions for additional fields welcom.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:40 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
one more thing

frequency (rarity) use a number from 0 to 52 which basicaly means how often per year you see this on eBay
52 means its always on
3 means about 3 times a year
1 means once a year
0 means less than once a year/never like an 03 console, may apear...but dont expect it.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
seob
Pac Priest
Pac Priest

Post Reply with quote
Numbers 1-6 are editable the rest isn't yet, am i correct?
Just updated the programmer for no 2.
If you want you can use my programmers list.
Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
so far there are 201 records, some are empty.

some just have titles some have more details.

if you click on www.videopac.org/database/displaydb.php you can see what records are used.
(this link is my experimental version of the viewing page, which Ive added you collection details, again the collection part doesnt work yet, it will be linked with your forums id, so you can track your collection against all variants)

the user interface needs work, but it will improve with you help and requirements, and time
but its moving a lot faster than I thought.. this has taken about a week and half so far.

if you are feeling adventurous in the title url where it says

www.videopac.org/database/index.php?id=x (where x is a number)
x is the unique id (curently from 1 to 201) yuo can go straight to that carts listing
by typing the number loook on the displaydb to see what cart you want to add more details to..and thanks

feel free to add a new variant into the empty spaces, remeber the seed ID is the lowest number with another variant of that game in.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
more details added more variants.

most of the carts have there own pages now, it would be great if you have anything to add about a particular cart. just click games, click the pic of the cart, click the pic of the variant

if your logged into the forums, you can click on edit details on any cart, particularly the variants that need details.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:53 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ANDYRYALS
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
I keep meaning to get around to doing some of these but time just seems to go by so damm quick!
Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    www.videopac.org Forum Index » Videopac.org & Odyssey2.org All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: