www.videopac.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog inSHOP
Issue with 'guest' posts!?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    www.videopac.org Forum Index » Videopac.org & Odyssey2.org View previous topic
View next topic
Issue with 'guest' posts!?
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post Issue with 'guest' posts!? Reply with quote
Richard, I've noticed that some users are not always signing in and end up creating a post under the 'guest' account. Could it be possible to change the COnfiguration of the Forum so this doesn't happen - you can change this so that people have to be signed in to make a post. Unless, of course, that is how you want it - it is your Forum after all

Just my suggestion... Mr. Green
Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:24 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
ok, changed that so hopefully now it will prompt you to log in if you try to post as a guest

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post Reply with quote
I've noticed that there are some 'guest' posts again in the last few months. Not sure what is going on here. Also, every time I come here, I am getting that darn double sign in issue again. Just curious if any forum setting have been changed. Note that I'm getting this from multiple machines - Mac and PC.
Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:13 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ANDYRYALS
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
I have to sign in twice to get access to these posts, I thought that this was strange as most other sites I only sign in once??? Could this be the same problem?????
Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:11 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post Reply with quote
ANDYRYALS wrote:
I have to sign in twice to get access to these posts, I thought that this was strange as most other sites I only sign in once??? Could this be the same problem?????

It's usually a 'cookie' issue with the forum and your browser. Some times it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. Normally you can delete the cookie from this site, depending on what Richard named it, and from then on it should work correctly. This is not always working for me though. For now, I'm just dealing with it...
Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I havnt specified any cookie name, so I would assume its default something like @videopac.org

its a pain in the rear, it affects me to, and sometimes the new posts icons dont always register.

I think its a bug between phpbb and IE as it doesnt seem to occur under other browsers such as opera, mozilla etc.

Ive just upgraded to IE7 which seems better, I centainly dont get it as often and the auto signing seems to work more regularly.

I have considered changing the BB to a YABB bb such as here (an experiment) http://www.videopac.org/xbox which is another forums im slowly setting up which will be found eventually at www.sonynintendo.com
feel free to join although theres no real members or content yet.
its going to purely be a forums as I dont have time to build another site and the passion isnt there like it is for videopac. Wink

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:27 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
Isn't there a simpler way to avoid spam, for example that the first post of a new user has to be send to a moderator before it's placed on the forum?
Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
grgh
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
I'm running IE6 SP2 here at work and at home, and I have NEVER had this problem! I do have my username/password saved in both locations.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ozyr
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post Reply with quote
Rene_G7400 wrote:
Isn't there a simpler way to avoid spam, for example that the first post of a new user has to be send to a moderator before it's placed on the forum?

Richard could setup the site in 'Admin' mode, but that takes some time for the Admins. In this mode, a new person signing up cannot post at all until the Admin/Moderators okay his/her account. This is another option to think about. The forum here is not so huge where this would be too much of an issue (but that is just my opinion)
Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rene_G7400
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
ozyr wrote:

Richard could setup the site in 'Admin' mode, but that takes some time for the Admins. In this mode, a new person signing up cannot post at all until the Admin/Moderators okay his/her account. This is another option to think about. The forum here is not so huge where this would be too much of an issue (but that is just my opinion)

Sounds like a good option to me.
Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:02 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fernandotcl
Initiate
Initiate

Post Reply with quote
Rene_G7400 wrote:
ozyr wrote:

Sounds like a good option to me.

The admins could mail new accounts personally just to say "Hi, I'm checking whether you're a bot or not, so please reply to this message in order to get your account activated." or something like that. Just to make sure it's not a bot. Doesn't scale well, but this is such a tiny forum, we have what, 1 new account every week or even less than that...
Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
thunderstruck
Sir Videopac
Sir Videopac

Post Reply with quote
Again, we have visit. Sad
http://www.videopac.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=749
Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ANDYRYALS
Videopac King
Videopac King

Post Reply with quote
Is there any reason why they only post onto the main discussion forum? There seem to be no other posts in the other areas, is this area different for some reason?
Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:49 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VPR
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have noticed that too, maybe the bots seeek out the general disccusion title, but I though if I change it they may post elswhere...more annoying.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
TedFoolery
Pac Priest
Pac Priest

Post Reply with quote
This may seem old, but I think I finally figured out why some of us have to log in twice.

It's the url. If you come here with the 3 Ws (http://www.videopac.org), after you login, you get bounced to http://videopac.org -- which is a different domain, so the cookie isn't recognized.

VPR, if you can change the 'log in' link to always go to http://videopac.org/forums/login.php (without the 3Ws), it should help.
Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:40 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    www.videopac.org Forum Index » Videopac.org & Odyssey2.org All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: